Corporate Sustainability Internship Opportunity
We are seeking to hire a paid full-time 3-month or 6-month intern for our office in downtown Boston.
The intern candidate should expect to start between late April and early June, depending on the intern's availability. The deadline for intern applications is Friday, April 7, 2017.
Our full-time, paid internship opportunity is designed for early-career or career-transition professionals looking to gain experience in corporate sustainability consulting. Our intern will contribute to sustainability strategy, program, and communications projects for a variety of clients from diverse industries.
The intern will experience project work that includes sustainability strategy, quantitative assessments of environmental data, sustainability reporting and communications, and corporate marketing. The intern will also spearhead a personal project assigned by the Sustainserv team that will conclude the internship as a report and presentation.
PLEASE NOTE: There are no open positions for full-time consultants at this time, however we are willing to hire 1 to 2 interns at a time.
RESPONSIBILITIES & EXPECTATIONS
- Maintain a high-level of professionalism, agency, punctuality, and a positive attitude
- An overarching project completed in its entirety by the end of the internship period (this project will focus on a corporate sustainability or higher-education sustainability topic that will include quantitative analysis, a writing component, and a presentation)
- Occasionally support Sustainserv consultants in sustainability strategy development, quantitative analysis, reporting, sustainability program implementation, and other sustainability consulting project work
- Occasionally assist in marketing and sales approaches for consulting services
- Occasionally assist in the development research reports, white papers, marketing materials, blog articles and other documentation
- You will work 5 days per week (40 hours per week), and we allow for unpaid vacation time during the internship (up to 1 week/5 days for 3-month interns or 2 weeks/10 days for 6-month interns, and you must commit to/inform your supervisor of what days you are taking off for vacation within the first two weeks of your internship)
- Experience working in the cutting edge and dynamic corporate sustainability space
- Sustainability strategy, environmental data analysis, sustainability reporting, and professional skills
- Time management skills (i.e., setting appropriate priorities for multiple tasks under particular deadlines)
- Regular interaction and collaboration with Sustainserv’s sustainability consultants and opportunity to do informational interviews with Sustainserv consultants to learn more about their careers and experiences in corporate sustainability
- One-on-one mentoring with your supervisor
- The opportunity to dive into a particular sustainability topic by leading a personal project to its completion
- The opportunity to practice public speaking/presentation skills in a corporate setting when you present your final project at the end of your internship
- A personal performance review at the end of the internship
- If you provide top-notch performance, your supervisor will offer you a letter of recommendation
- A demonstrated interest in, passion for and knowledge of the subject of sustainability
- An unwavering commitment to quality
- Strong interest and capability for writing in English
- Outstanding judgment and patience that comes with working in a small, dynamic firm
- Willingness and ability to multitask, and pitch in where needed
- A fun, smart, highly creative yet detail-oriented personality
- You must possess or be pursuing a Bachelor or Master Degree at a liberal arts or technical college/university OR are a candidate in between careers interested in gaining sustainability consulting experience
- Impeccable interpersonal, communication and self-motivation skills
- Superior writing skills– corporate/journalism/technical writing and editing – and oral presentation skills
- Expertise in the Microsoft Office suite of products
- Your resume
- Your GPA (if you are a current or recent student)
- Letters of recommendation (if you have any)
- Specification on whether you can do a 3-month internship or a 6-month internship (including tentative starting/ending dates)
- A personal statement that answers the following questions and any other information you may want to include (in a page or less):
How did you first become interested in sustainability?
Why do you care about corporate sustainability?
What’re you trying to get out of this internship?
What’re your long-term goals for your career?
Sustainserv is a management consulting firm specialized in the development of corporate sustainability strategies, programs and communications. Founded in 2001 by a team of PhD-trained scientists, Sustainserv has offices in Zurich, Switzerland and Boston, Massachusetts. Our international team of 11 consultants combines its expertise in metric-driven analysis to provide comprehensive sustainability solutions that drive business growth. Our experience in different cultures helps us to provide our clients with a global view on sustainability issues and to build bridges between partners in different part of the world.